Sunday, October 11, 2009

The thin end of the wedge



I believe in common sense, and taking each case on its own merit. For example, if we were talking about euthanasia, I feel passionately that people should be allowed to die, or that that decision should be made on their behalf, if they are clearly suffering. Years ago, I saw a brilliant programme on the human body by Jonathan Miller. But I have been haunted ever since by the image of a man whose every muscle was paralysed. He couldn't swallow or do anything, his eyelids had to be moistened every few minutes because he couldn't blink. Yet he was being kept alive on a ventilator. Ever since, I have thought this to be the most unbelievable, misguided cruelty. What must have been going through that poor man's head - that he was going to have to suffer this awful torment until he died - there could be nothing else.

"Oh", but people exclaim, "how do you know that he wasn't thinking the most wonderful thoughts, and hoping to live for ever?" - because I'm not stupid, that's how.

I have had occasion to visit old people's homes, and seen people existing like cabbages, with no quality of life. not even food and drink giving them pleasure, just resting their head in their hands, their eyes closed all day. As a matter of fact I DO think these people, who scarcely know they are alive, are a drain on the public purse, and that we could save a huge amount of money by "allowing" them to die, with relatives' consent. However, my main reason for taking such a course of action would be that it was simple common sense - they had come to the end of all reasonable life. "Ah, but how do you know they are not enjoying a rich, inner life?" you may say. I just DO, ok?

My argument would be the same, of course, for people suffering dreadful pain in some terminal illness, people who are even capable of making their own decision whether to live or die. How utterly terrible to be forced to suffer intolerable pain by some old judge in the knowledge that you're going to die soon anyway. I used the phrase above "with relatives' consent". How many times have I heard people say that this is the THE THIN END OF THE WEDGE, and that there would be nothing to stop families from bumping off grandma at the drop of a hat. NONSENSE, I reply. I am not suggesting that the process would be like taking a hamster to be put down. There would be checks and balances, proper procedures, tribunals etc. - in other words, let common sense prevail!

2 comments:

  1. Nothing to stop families bumping off grandma at the drop of a hat...tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do know that Mary has always wanted to live in your house ... I'd watch yourself!

    ReplyDelete